Pages

Saturday, June 12, 2010

My Favorite Sonic Menu Item

You guess it!!  Pickle-O's, deep fried pickles baby!!!  Sadly they are no longer on the Sonic menu.  Last I heard they were still on the menu in Jackson, MS and Texoma, OK.
However, there are two Facebook pages begging for the return of the Pickle-O.  You can also find a lot of request to bring back the Pickle-O on several blogs, so funny.  I was flipping through the channels recently and came across a special on the Food Network about fried foods.  The owner of SmashBurger was interviewed about having fried pickles on the menu.  He said it came from Oklahomans wanting it on the menu, go figure.
A few years ago I decided that since I could not get Pickle-O's anymore I would make my own so I found a recipe on the internet for fried pickles.  According to Wikipedia fried pickles were made famous by Fatman Austin at his Duchess Drive-In in Atkins, Arkansas and served every year at the Atkins Picklefest which was started by the Atkins Pickle Company.  I don't recommend making your own fried pickles because well their fried and well, its a very messy job.
Oddly, enough Atkins, Arkansas is one of the places where my people came from.  So, if you are related to me through the Brashear, Dunn, Barham or Willis lines you could easily be addicted to Pickle-O's like me, so beware of the fried pickle.
Have a great day and
Love,
Territory Mom

1 comment:

Lost City Denise said...

Now I'm going to have to locate a map with Atkins Arkansas on it! Maybe it's in Scott County where my mothers family moved to about four or five generations ago.

In high school I worked in a little restaurant and every so often I'd go to the kitchen and have them fry me some pickles for my break. Haven't had any in decades!!!
(but may soon...)