Pages

Monday, January 16, 2012

Has It Been 35 Years - The Cast of Roots Join Oprah Tonight

It is hard to believe that it has been 35 years since we first saw the miniseries, Roots.  Beginning Sunday, January 23, 1977 through Saturday, January 30, 1977, America was glued to the TV to watch the family of Alex Haley. 
I was 11 years old and in the 6th grade.  It was for me extremely informative yet frightening.  The only thing I knew about slavery was from watching Gone With The Wind.  So, I did my best to understand slavery, but really I couldn't.  How could a little white girl living in the Midwest understand it? 
I remember that my entire family watch together.  It was very violent.  The truth is sometimes violent.  No one wanted to miss any of it.  Back in 1977 we didn't know it would someday be available on DVD, we didn't even have VHS back then.
I think for me Roots was about discovery. I listened to every interview of Alex Haley.  I was so impressed with his family research. I remember the final scenes of the movie where he goes to his ancestral village in Africa and listens to the stories of his family. Sometimes all we have is a story, but sometimes that is all we need to begin our quest for the truth.

Tonight on OWN The cast will join Oprah at 8/7 central.  It will be nice to see familiar faces. 
Love,
Territory Mom

2 comments:

DrillerAA said...

I remember watching every episode. Missed the Oprah reunion though.

The Trail Boss said...

I absolutely loved Roots. Has it been re-run recently? I would like to see it again, have forgotten so much of it since I first saw it so many years ago.