Pages

Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Susan Margaret "Maggie" Brashear

She started it all, Susan Margaret "Maggie" Brashear. She is my grandma's grandma and my great great grandma. Listening to my grandma talk about her encourage me to find out more.
The only thing I knew about her was that she lived on Pope Mountain in Arkansas, she married Charlie Dunn and died in a logging camp. I just put that information in the back of mind. Then the Internet comes along.
I found her on familysearch.org, which is the Mormon's site. From there I found Charles Brashear. If you are a Brashear researcher you already know his name. Charles has been researching this family for over 40 years and has written about 10 books. Also, there are over 30 ways the name is spelled but they are all related to Robert Brasseur and his son, Benois Brasseur. They can be traced back to the 1500's. They are from the Bouches-du-Rhone which is an area close to the Mediterranean Sea. So, instead of saying we vacation in the South of France our family can say "that's where we'all came from".
Maggie is the daughter of Walter W. Brashear and Nancy W. Brewer. She had 8 sisters and 7 brothers. Maggie and Charlie Dunn had 4 daughters and 5 sons. She was born in 1869 and died in 1905 shortly after the birth of her ninth child. Maggie is buried in Kinder Cemetery on Pope Mountain with her sons, Chester and Charles, Jr.
"The Abduction of Maggie Brashear" coming soon.
Happy Grandma's Day,
Territory Mom

No comments: