Pages

Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Aunt Belle Died

There is no good way to tell someone a family member has died.
My husband works away from home. He only comes home once a week, sometimes for only one night. It is good that he has work in Oklahoma except for the fact that it is on the other side of the state.
Last night he called and said he was going to take a shower and go to be early, so when his dad called about 8:00pm and told me that his sister, Belle had died I decided to wait until morning to tell my husband. I knew he was tired and I didn't want to wake him up. Big mistake. Based on his reaction I should have told him last night. She had been in a nursing home for years but it was still difficult.
He loved his Aunt Belle. His dad was a truck driver and was also away from home a lot, so his Aunt Belle would help with him and his three brothers. Aunt Belle was the only girl with six boys so taking care of four rowdy boys was nothing to her.
Aunt Belle was a fixture in the local town. Kind of a historic marker by herself. She ran the laundromat for years. There are several old washing machines and parts scattered around our land to prove it. She left her mark.
Aunt Belle was the family historian. She searched for her grandma's family for years. When I found them (McChristian's) I couldn't tell her but I told her daughter. Now Aunt Belle can get the whole story from her grandma, Rosa Bell. I hope they are having a great visit.
Have a great day.
Love,
Territory Mom

No comments: