Pages

Friday, December 31, 2010

God's Promises From A 1972 Bible

Being the mommy means buying your own Christmas gift.  Don't get me wrong I love buying my own gift.  Being the homeschool teacher/mom means buying your own gift.  Being the cook, housekeeper and hug giver means buying your own gift.  Get the picture?
Anyway, for my mommy gift I found this vintage The Living Bible on etsy.com.  The Living Bible was created by Kenneth N. Taylor with the first printing in 1971.  I was able to get a first printing.  Mr. Taylor was a graduate of Wheaton College.  He was an author, publisher and founder of Tyndale House.  When The Living Bible came out in the 1970's it was all the rage.  I really wanted one and now I have one.  It was a best seller in the 1970's.  By 1997, 40 million copies had been sold with all of the royalties going to charity.  The Living Bible is now the New Living Translation.

The Bible I received had this written on the inside cover:
1972 Fathers day gift,
To Julian
From Gertrude
With Love

On the next page "God's Promises":

They are:
But they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength.  They shall mount up with wings like eagles; they shall run and not be weary; they shall walk and not faint.
Isaiah 40:31

Fear not, for I am with you. Do not be dismayed. I am your God. I will strengthen you; I will help you; I will uphold you iwth my victorious right hand.
Isaiah 41:10

When the poor and needy seek water and there is none and their tongues are parched from thirst, then I will answer when they cry to me.  I, Israel's God, will not ever forsake them.
I will open up rivers for them on high plateaus!
I will give them fountains of water in the valleys!
In the deserts will be pools of water, and rivers fed by springs shall flow across the dry parched ground.
Isaiah 41:17, 18

He will bring blind Israel along a path they have not seen before.  He will make the darkness bright before them and smooth and straighten out the road ahead.  He will not forsake them.
Isaiah 42:16
 and
Who can snatch, the prey from the hands of a mighty man? Who can demand that a tyrant let his captives go?
But the Lord says, "Even the captives of the most mighty and most terrible shall all be freed;
for I will fight those who fight you, and I will save your children.
I will feed your enemies with their own flesh and they shall be drunk with rivers of their own blood.  All the world shall know that I, the Lord, am your Savior and Redeemer, the Mighty One of Israel."
Isaiah 49:24,25 & 26

Below "God's Promises" is this note:

You are able to control your mind
with these scriptures:

For the power of the life-giving Spirit -- and this power is mine through Christ Jesus -- has freed me from the vicious circle of sin and death.
We aren't saved from sin's grasp by knowing the commandments of God, because we can't and don't keep them, but God put into effect a different plan to save us.  He sent his own Son in a human body like ours---except that ours are sinful--and destroyed sin's control over us by giving himself as a sacrifice for our sins.
So now we can obey God's laws if we follow after the Holy Spirit and no longer obey the old evil nature within us.
Romans 8:2-4

Isn't wonderful how God promises are forever?  From century to century, decade to decade, year to year, day to day, moment to moment, from 1972 to now.
Remember God's promises for the new year.  I hope we all make wise decisions this year.  I'm already off to a good start.  I made a $6.00 investment and my return is priceless.
Happy New Year and to Julian,
I will take good care of your Bible.
Love,
Territory Mom

5 comments:

RCUBEs said...

It's surely nice to be reminded of His faithful promises especially Isa.41:10 and you know why I need this today. Thanks for cheering me up and encouraging me. Happy New Year sister and God bless you always.

Oklahoma Granny said...

I have a copy of that very same Bible in that very same color. I got it back in the day. I'll have to check to see if it's a first edition. Blessings to you in 2011!

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

Great post. I think I'm the only person in Oklahoma that doesn't have that Bible.

I'm a big believer in buying one's own Christmas gift. You did a great job. What a bonus that somebody wrote out the scripture references for you.

Have a great 2011!

Anonymous said...

Isiah is one of my favorite books. What a wonderful gift!

Have a blessed new year.

Ashley Slater said...

what a great idea for a gift. My dad is a pastor and I am sure he would really love something like that--- what a treasure the written inscriptions are!


Loving your blog (I stumbled across it!)