Pages

Friday, December 3, 2010

Oklahoma To Me-30th Verse - OU Nebraska, The Last Hurrah?

Barry Switzer (or the King in Oklahoma) and Tom Osborne, 2006

Oklahoma to me . . .
witnessing the last OU and Nebraska
football game.

This will be my brother's view of tomorrow night's game.
My brother and his wife will be seating on Nebraska's side, but when you are given tickets you don't look a gift horse in the mouth.
I have been in a time warp this week.  I had it in my mind that Barry and Tom would be coaching the game tomorrow night, then I realized that it is 2010 not the 1970's or 80's.  No doubt they will be on the sidelines.  I bet Toby Keith will there too and maybe Brian Bosworth.
Many are wondering what to call this game.  The 1971 OU/Nebraska match was called the Game of the Century.  Remember, former Lt. Governor, Jack Mildren was the quarterback in this game.  The 1987 matchup was called the Game of the Century II and now what their final matchup.  For some reason the old hymn, A New Name In Glory pops in my head.  My grandma used to sing that song in church all the time.
This may not be the last matchup between the classic rivals.  According to The Washington Post the schools' atheltic directors, Tom Osborne and Joe Castiglione are considering matchups for the 2020 and 2021 seasons.  The 2021 game would be on the 50th anniversary of the 1971 Game of the Century. 
Now, to what is going to happen tomorrow night.  My brother is going to send me photos from the game so it there are no technical difficulties I will post them as soon as I receive them.  I told him to get a photo of the sad look on the Nebraska fans' faces, the scoreboard, and any former coaches.  I'm a little concerned though because if this is the last game are there going to be a lot of 40 and 50 year olds enjoying this last hurrah.  I mean really enjoying it.  I think this will be a wild game at least in the stands.  I hope no one falls out of the bleachers.  Thankfully it is being played in Texas and they are used to over-the-top OU fans.
The game is on ABC Saturday night at 7:00 pm central, 12/4/10.
I may or may not (oh I will) watch the game.  My husband is still mad at OU for beating OSU last week.
Have a great day and be safe.

Love,
Territory Mom

Go here  for ESPN Classic's top 5 OU/Nebraska games and here for Crimson&CreamMachine's top 5 OU/Nebraska moments.  
More Games of the Century.
Go here for another article by FoxSports' Kalani Simpson.

No comments: