Pages

Friday, March 30, 2012

Who Do You Think You Are? and Finding Your Roots

My great great grandparents, Thomas Jefferson Baker and Malissa Ann Ramsey Baker
(cir 1892, Bowie, Texas)

Have you been watching Who Do You Think You Are?  I've been taping them and watching them with my kids.  I have to admit that one episode was pretty dull (you can probably guess which one) but I continued to watch and so far the rest of the episodes have been very interesting.
Tonight's episode features Rita Wilson.  Don't you just love her?  Did you know she was on an episode of Brady Bunch in 1972?  She is a big fashion icon too.  If you tweet her with a fashion question she will answer you, just ask my sister (so cool).
Anyway, tonight's episode is pretty emotional.  I cried just during the clip.  So tune in tonight at 8/7c on NBC.  My kids enjoy watching too.  It gets my daughter asking questions about her family and history and geography.  Note to self:  get a globe.
Also, last Sunday night was the first and second episodes of a ten part series on PBS, Finding Your Roots with Louis Gates, Jr.  This show is extremely interesting and informative.  You can watch the full episodes at the link above.
While WDTYA uses DNA testing through Ancestry.com Finding Your Roots uses DNA testing through 23andme.com.  I've done a DNA test through 23 and me and it is a little confusing.  Maybe because I'm not a scientist, but on the show it appears that it is easy to understand.  Do your research before buying any DNA test kits.  You don't want to spend a lot of money on something that is too complication to understand.
So there is your genealogy entertainment news for the day.
Have a great weekend.
Love,
Territory Mom

2 comments:

Oklahoma Granny said...

I love watching "Who Do You Think You Are" but I must have last week's (I was in OKC). Maybe it will be on in re-runs. I'm going right now to set tonight's to record just in case I forget to watch. (Yeah, my memory can be that bad.)

DrillerAA said...

Loved Rita's episode.