Pages

Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Getting Closer to Finding Emily

William Meridith "Marady" Singleton and Missouri Margania Brashear
I received a response to a post I did almost a year ago about my gggrandmother, Emily Singleton Dunn Kinder. It was from a dear woman from Arkansas and this is how it went:
Emily T. Singleton was a sister to my ggrandfather William Meridith Singleton. She was born in 1848 in Tennessee (according to the 1850 Greene County, MO US Census). Her parents were: Howell J. Singleton b. 1820 Virginia and Sarah Ann Holton b. abt. 1824 TN. They were married May 31, 1843 in Rutherford County, TN.
Howell and Sarah Singleton children:
John Abel Singleton, b. March 25, 1844 TN
Elvira Singleton, b. 1846 TN
Emily T. Singleton, b. 1848 TN
No name Singleton, b. 1850 MO
William Meridith Singleton b. 1852 MO
Joseph Pinkney Singleton, b. 1854 AR
This family is in the 1860 Scott Cnty AR Census, however Sarah is not listed so is presumed dead. H.J. dies shortly after census taken and children are left alone. By 1867 some or all children are in Pope County, AR where oldest brother John marries Mary Brashear, daughter of Mortimer M. Brashear and Sarah "Sallie" Vaughan. In 1872 William Meridith marries Missouri Margania Brashear (a sister of Mary).
Did Emily refer to her father "Joseph"? All records that I have located are either Howell J. or H.J. Singleton. I have been unable to find any records before his marriage to Sarah. If he used Joseph that might be a clue as to who his parents were.
I have more, if interested please contact me.
Well, of course I contacted her for more information. She did not have any photos of Emily but she did send me the above photo of Emily's brother and his wife, who is my Maggie Brashear Dunn's aunt (married Emily's son Charles Dunn).
Emily oldest brother John was a doctor who also married a Brashear (another one of Maggie's aunts).
Emily's mother was Sarah Ann Holton, daughter of Abel B. Holton and Martha Elizabeth Fortnor.
There is no information about Emily's first husband, James Dunn. I'll find him. Right now I'm happy to have this new found information.
Happy Grandma's Day.
Love,
Territory Mom

No comments: