Pages

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Answers To The Oklahoma Trivia Questions

Update:
Oklahoma did not produced the most astronauts, go here for the correction information.
So sorry for the misinformation.

Thanks everyone for playing along.  I'm definitely going to have another trivia contest. Hope you don't mind that the prizes will be something I've made.  Mama's on a budget.
1.  Can you name 3 famous singers from Oklahoma?
Everyone answered this question because there are just so many Oklahoma singers.  Here's your answers:

They are:
Toby Keith, born in Clinton
Vince Gill, born in Norman
Reba McEntire, born in Chockie
Susie McEntire, born in Chockie
Patti Page, born in Claremore
Hoyt Axton, born in Duncan, raised in Comanche
Garth Brooks, born in Tulsa, raised in Yukon
David Gates, born in Tulsa - Remember "Bread"?
Leon Russell, born in Lawton
Blake Shelton, born in Ada - Also check this out, what an Okie.
B. J. Thomas, born in Hugo
Carrie Underwood, born in Muskogee, raised in Cheocotah
Keith Anderson, born in Miami
and
Joe Don Rooney, born in Kansas, raised in Picher

2.  Oklahoma has produced more astronauts than any other state. Name 3
Once again everyone knew the answer.  Here they are:
Top, l to r:  Gordon Cooper, born Shawnee, Tom Stafford, born Weatherford, Owen Garriott, born Enid and Stuart Roosa, born Duranga, CO raised in Claremore
Bottom, l to r:  William Pogue born Okemah, Shannon Lucid, born in China, raised in Bethany, John Herrington, born Wetumka and Neil Woodward, III, born in Chicago, graduated from Putnam City, H.S., OKC.
3.  Name 4 Olympic Gold medalists from Oklahoma.

Everyone is right again.  This is the short list:
Jim Thorpe, track and field
John Smith, wrestling
Kenny Monday, wrestling
Shannon Miller, gymnastics
Bart Conner, gymnastics
Danny Hodge, wrestling
Wayman Tisdale, basketball
Henry Iba, basketball coach

This is another very long list, so many great athletes.  Check out the Oklahoma Sports Hall of Fame

4.  Which U.S. President was born in Oklahoma?
Yes, this was a trick question.  The answer is zero.  PraireMaid said Ike came close.  I checked it out Dwight D. Eisenhower was born in Denison, TX on October 14, 1890.
My sister did wonder if Carl Albert had to fill in for a short time. I'm surprised he didn't considering what was going on when he was Speaker.  That would have been cool to have a president from Bugtussle, OK.

5.  Which city in Oklahoma has the largest supply of oil in the world?
Yes, its Cushing, known as the "pipeline crossroads of the world".

6. What two films did Tom Cruise film in Oklahoma?

7.  What are the names of the Five Indian Ballerinas? 
Known as the Five Moons, they are:
Maria Tallchief, Osage, born in Fairfax
Marjorie Tallchief, Osage, born in Fairfax
Yvonne Chouteau, Shawnee, born in Vinita
Moscelyne Larkin, Peoria and Shawnee, born in Miami
and
Rosella Hightower, Choctow, born in Durwood

More about these wonderful ladies later.  Each one has a great story.

and finally,
8. Do you know the name of this building and where it is located?

This is the old Cochran Building in Hanna, OK


Hanna is in McIntosh County and it is where my husband's family lived for a time.  We were driving through it a few weeks ago after going to Lake Eufaula.  You can see the mountains in the background in the above photo. I think they are the Tiger Mountains. I thought this building was so interesting looking.  I found out from my in-laws that it was owned by the Cochran family.  The family lived in the 2nd floor and they had a dry goods store on the first floor.

Anyways, thanks everyone for playing, all 3 of you.  Since PrairieMaid answered first I decided to give her the jar of my homemade salsa, however, Mom Mayhem and Nadine were right after her so they get a jar of my homemade pepper jelly!!!
So, ladies email me your addresses and I'll get your prizes in the mail.
Have a great day.
Love,
Territory Mom

4 comments:

Robin said...

And I didnt even google as you can tell by my answers! I'd rather go down guessin' than google!
Being from the Claremore area, I drove down Pattie Page Blvd almost every day and there's a Stuart Roosa street and an elementary school named for him.

I'll email my address.

Mom Mayhem says: said...

Awesome! -I sent you an email. That building is interesting! I didn't know about Rain Man before -I guess they did a few exterior shots -not sure if Tom Cruise was actually there like in The Outsiders -but,it's still cool :)

Ever Blessed said...

What?! A trick question?! I never would have thought of that! How funny. Makes it much more interesting that way. Good for you!

Prairiemaid said...

Ah that is sweet! But I think they got more correct than me...however, I never turn down salsa!

This was fun!

Have you seen that Oklahoma promotional video put out by the department of tourism? It is about 10 or so years old, but it is so interesting. I really didn't know about the Indian Ballerinas until I watched the film. Actually, there was a lot I learned from the film.

I would love to have a copy of it, but haven't ever found it for sale.

Anyway, thanks a bunch!

I'll email my address.