Pages

Monday, July 18, 2011

After WoodyFest is Okie Noodling & Eskimo Joe's 36th Birthday!!!

Daddy's catch from last summer's noodling adventure at Lake Eufaula

What do you do the day after WoodyFest?  Well, the party continues with the Okie Noodling International Championship where else but Okemah, OK.  The competition is closed but the party starts at 3:00 pm today until dark at Jimmie's Grocery, Hwy 62 (aka Columbia) and 5th Street.  There will be drinks, bbq, bluegrass and a lot of fun rednecks.  Remember I'm not a redneck but according to my husband I'm a hillbilly.  Apparently there is a difference.
Anyway for more information check out this article from the Okemah News Leader.  The article has the date as July 19th, but today is definitely July 18th.

Oh my gracious I'm so excited about this Eskimo Joes   kicks off it's 36th birthday bash at 11:00 am this morning.  This also means that my friend Trish is also 36 years old.  Happy birthday, Trish.
Who is the entertainment for the first day of celebration none other than Okemah's own, John Fullbright.  I first wrote about John in my post Spirit of Woody Guthrie.  He sang for my daughter on her birthday last year.  It was wonderful!  Thank you, John.
Now, the headliner for today's celebration at Eskimo Joe's are the Turnpike Troubadours who also have roots in Okemah, OK.  I screamed like a little girl when I heard this. 
Also, Eskimo Joe's is unveiling it's very first OSU co-branded t-shirt.  I'm so excited.  I'm getting my kids one for their birthday and me too.

On another note it makes you wonder what is in the water around here when one town produces such musical talents like Woody, John Fullbright, Evan Felker of the Turnpike Troubadours, Jamie Coon, Shawna Russell and of course, Gwen Guthrie.

Have a great day and enjoy the music!!
Love,
Territory Mom

2 comments:

Oklahoma Granny said...

Those who noodle are either very brave or very crazy - or maybe a little of both. Looks like I'll be heading to an EJ's store for a new t-shirt. I have so many I've been thinking of turning some of them into a quilt.

Kelly said...

I read in the Tulsa World about the noodling competition. It was Crazy! Crazy!
But I will have to admit I do love me some fried catfish!